*Note that Discover Bristol represents/markets both Bristol, VA and Bristol, TN
RESPONSIBLE TO: President and CEO, Bristol Chamber of Commerce
Ideal Candidate Profile
The Executive Director of Discover Bristol (CVB) also serves as a Vice-President of the Bristol Chamber of Commerce and is responsible for administering the day-to-day operations of the CVB in a manner that is consistently in the best interest of the CVB and its stakeholders.
Top candidates must be energetic, self-motivated, and imaginative. The successful candidate must have the skills to work collaboratively with community stakeholders to build strong, productive relationships capable of leveraging the considerable community assets in Bristol. The CVB Executive Director should play a critical role on such a team.
The best candidates will have tangibly demonstrated a consistent mastery of the following skill sets:
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Public Speaking
- Critical Thinking
- Complex Problem Solving
- Social Perceptiveness
- Management of Personnel Resources
- Financial Management
- Active listening and a deep understanding of local concerns
- Research-based Decision-making
- Commitment to transparency through disclosure, clarity and accuracy in communications
- Effective Functioning at all Organizational Levels
- Strategy Execution and Reporting
- Effective marketing, digital social media experience on various platforms
The following key responsibilities are intended to provide a clear expectation of the professional capabilities of the next Executive Director. Satisfactory performance in each key accountability is critical to success in this position:
- Develop a trust-based relationship with Chamber and CVB Boards of Directors, community stakeholders, City officials, media, tourism colleagues and staff by being a person of sincere professionalism and integrity.
- Align CVB services, finances, resources, staff, and partnerships to achieve the Board’s vision, strategic goals, and directives.
- Provide effective, ethical leadership in a manner that ensures the destination marketing for Bristol is proactive, long-term, cost effective and poised to meet dynamic market requirements.
- Be able to organize, manage, prioritize, and delegate work, meet deadlines, and manage multiple complex projects and processes simultaneously.
- Effectively develop and manage the organization’s budget and work plan in a fiscally responsible manner that supports the strategic direction and priorities of the Board of Directors and ensures the long-term effectiveness of the organization.
- Lead a highly motivated staff and consistently produce results leading toward the Board’s vision for the organization.
- Serve with a high degree of visibility in the community, both on and off the job.
- Stay aware of destination marketing best practices to bring Bristol’s destination marketing and tourism brand, product, and services to the next level.
- Effectively leverage relationships with community organizations and stakeholders, particularly in raising funds for the CVB and partnering on events and promotions.
- Analyze operations to evaluate performance of the organization and its staff in meeting objectives or to determine areas of operational efficiency, effectiveness, program improvement, or policy change.
- Establish, document, and clearly communicate departmental responsibilities and coordinate functions throughout the organization.
- Advocate on behalf of the CVB and inspire and encourage others to do so in coordination with the Board.
- Serve as a representative for tourism and economic development in Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia.
- Work with Board and community leaders to develop alternative funding model (s) for the CVB – with both short-term and long-term goals.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in business administration, marketing, communications, tourism & hospitality, or a closely related field is strongly preferred.
Experience: Minimum of five years’ relevant and progressively responsible work experience in destination marketing, travel, tourism or hospitality is required. Any combination of formal education and practical experience may be considered. In-depth knowledge of the travel and tourism industry is required with knowledge of sales, marketing, public relations and strategic planning.
Other Requirements: Traveling, including overnight travel, is required periodically. A demonstrated desire to embrace personal and professional development is highly sought. Bristol is tight-knit, and the next executive director is expected to play a significant role, personally and professionally, within the community. As the Bristol CVB is under the umbrella of the Bristol Chamber of Commerce, the CVB Executive Director will also attend Chamber related events such as Board meetings, First Friday breakfasts, After Hours, etc.
Position: Open until filled
Send resume and cover letter to:
Beth D. Rhinehart
Bristol Chamber of Commerce
20 Volunteer Parkway, Bristol, TN 37620