Communications Manager, Bristol Chamber of Commerce (BCC) & Discover Bristol (DB)
JOB TITLE: Communications Manager, Bristol Chamber of Commerce (BCC) & Discover Bristol (DB)
RESPONSIBLE TO: President & CEO, Bristol Chamber of Commerce, Senior Level Staff
OVERALL RESPONSIBILITIES: The position has the following primary responsibilities: Overall marketing and promotion Bristol, TN/VA as a tourist destination; Manage DB websites; Manage DB social media, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, etc.; Coordinate production and writing for DB publications; Develop a comprehensive communications plan to effectively promote DB programs through local/regional media and national media; Oversee the communications and media relations duties for BCC and DB, Coordinate press conferences, press releases and develop relationships with local, regional, and national media for DB; and Manage the Move To Program.
MARKETING DUTIES - DB:
- Assists with all news conferences, press releases, media contact and public relation activities of DB.
- Coordinates with the Marketing Director in the bid process, collection of data and graphic design of all DB publications to include: Bristol Visitor Guide, Meeting Planner/Group Tour Guide brochure and other direct mail and support pieces.
- Works with Marketing Director to plan and implement a social media marketing campaign over multiple social media platforms and websites (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube) to promote Bristol tourist-related events and attractions. Primary responsibility for this is the Communications Manager.
- Assists with the coordination of DB’s advertisement placements and design.
- Participates in familiarization tours and provides assistance to the Marketing Director with scheduling arrangements, logistics, gifts, information packets, etc.
- Assists with planning activities and promotions during National Tourism Week to create awareness of tourism’s vital role in Bristol’s economy.
- Works with travel writers in promoting Bristol through editorials/stories in national/regional publications.
- Manages day to day social content and calendar
- Oversees the maintenance of the Discover Bristol website.
- Manages graphic design projects for DB.
- Manages the development and production of a variety of marketing publications including, but not limited to: Bristol Visitor Guide, Bristol Attractions Map, Bristol Media Kits, Historic Walking Tour Brochure to promote travel opportunities and group tour services.
- Prepares print and electronic communications in accordance with graphic standards.
- Pitch stories to a wide variety of press outlets to cultivate stories with arts, cultural, music, entertainment, and travel media.
- Coordinate interviews for BCC and DC leadership and fulfill press requests.
- Develops and maintains local, national, and international media and public contacts for disseminating BCC and DB information.
- Oversees creating and submitting awards nominations
- Coordinates event committee, volunteers, etc. to see that all event operations, site set up and equipment needs are maintained.
- Provides visitor packets for event participants.
- Coordinates event logo and development of program design, layout and printing of publication. Orders souvenirs, trophies, tickets, etc.
- Works closely with media to coordinate public service announcements, press releases and event advertising.
- Serves as DB’s representative on appropriate local committees
- Coordinate the “MoveTo” website including the updating of all demographic information on a quarterly basis, review of the multipliers used for the calculators, and other general maintenance of the information contained in the site.
- Attend 1 to 2 out of town shows for retirees and relocations.
- Work closely with Retire TN, Sullivan NETEWORKS Partnership and the Kingsport Chamber of Commerce to coordinate with their efforts to gain relocation prospects to the Bristol region and provides monthly stats to the State of Tennessee.
- Attends DB and Chamber Board meetings, chamber staff meetings and chamber functions to include First Friday Business Briefings, Ribbon Cuttings, Business After Hours, Annual Meeting and city council meetings as required.
- Takes and prepares minutes for the DB Board meetings.
- Assists with development of the Strategic Plan and DB’s annual budget.
- Participates in local, regional and state tourism events and educational seminars. Day/evening travel outside the area and overnight travel may be required.
- Responsible for implementing graphic standards for DB.
RESULTS: Results will be measured on the overall performance of duties, including efficiency of event operations, effectiveness of marketing and advertising, and consistency of effort.
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications or related field required
- Must have experience in public relations, a communications field or community relations with strong writing skills
- Strong working background in social media platforms and technique
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs, familiarity with creating and editing website content
- Strong graphic design background and newsletter design/layout (including video editing)
- Local community and media contacts preferred with media pitching experience
- Experience with measuring ROI of programs
- Must have the ability to speak well in public settings
- Ability to work within tight time frames and simultaneously manage several projects
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Must be organized and extremely detail-oriented
- Strong at prioritizing and executing to perfection in a fast-paced environment
- Other requirements
- Demonstrate strong team collaboration in work environment
- Attend Chamber and Discover Bristol related events such as Board meetings, First Friday breakfasts, After Hours, etc.
- Ability to travel as needed
- Performs additional duties as assigned by management
- Demonstrate a positive, energetic, self-motivated and imaginative work ethic/attitude