Human Resources Generalist
Food City is a privately held, family-owned company with a driving mission to "run the best store in town." Dedicated to giving back to the communities we serve; we encourage our associates to get involved with their local civic organizations. We consider our associates to be our greatest asset. Over 13% of the company is currently owned by our associates through our employee stock ownership plan, promoting tremendous pride in the services and products we provide. If you're looking for a great career or the opportunity to try something different, consider becoming part of the Food City family.
JOB SUMMARY: The Human Resources Generalist will support and actively contribute to the overall Human Resources Department with K-VA-T Food Stores, Inc. This role will partner with other HR team members to help ensure K-VA-T Food Stores, Inc. associates receive high-quality service and support for strategic programs around employee relations, life cycle, wellness, and engagement. Assistance with managing the daily workflow of the Human Resources Department, proactively anticipating future needs, and prioritizing tasks and projects are also required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
HR Employee Relations
- Serves as a point of contact for K-VA-T Food Stores, Inc. Associates and Retail Stores; responds to questions, issues, and concerns timely and escalates when appropriate.
- Advise, coach and counsel management on employee relations issues, and formulate specific measurable actions to help resolve issues, increase effectiveness, build relationships and achieve business goals. Listens to employee concerns and complaints and assists them with problem resolution.
- Assists leadership with associate recruitment, hiring, staffing, development, succession planning, scheduling, attendance, and performance needs by identifying and analyzing HR (Human Resources) related issues; and providing guidance on the execution of company HR programs and initiatives.
- Maintains company’s attendance policy efforts including reconciliation, documentation and follow up where needed.
- Maintains policies and forms in coordination with HR Specialists and displays labor law and other legal postings as required.
- Anticipate and respond to employee relations concerns. Identifies potential problem areas and works with managers to take specific actions to mitigate.
- Drive performance management actions within client groups, ensuring that employees receive accurate and timely performance feedback. Influence managers to take appropriate and consistent performance management actions to deal with performance deficiencies in the workforce. Ensure that specific & actionable objectives are set and monitored within work groups. Help managers to identify developmental plans for subordinates.
- Participate in employee investigations in coordination with Legal, HR, Security and management as directed.
- Coordinate and consult with Legal on performance management issues, terminations, and organization restructures.
- Maintain accurate and secure records in support of employee relations, engagement, discipline, and safety processes.
Reporting and Analysis
- Prepares and completes required projects, reports, schedules, rosters, and other documentation in a timely manner, provides management with required information and advises of any problematic situations. Examples of reports may include but are not limited to HRIS records, Applicant Tracking System reports, logs to conform to licensing and EEO regulations, Human Resources scorecard, new hire reporting, driver eligibility, evaluations due, medical tests due, termination forms, position control roster, shift assignments, pending background clearances, etc.
- Compiles personnel file information, performs employment verifications, advises employees of missing items required for employment, follows up on missing items and pending medical tests.
- Prepares and maintains confidential employment records related to events, such as hiring, termination, leaves, transfers, or promotions, using human resources information system (HRIS) software.
- Assists with the monitoring of leave requests and return to work protocols; ensures compliance with legal requirements.
- Assists with the preparation of responses to requests for information from the EEOC, DOL, and other governmental agencies.
- Maintains compliance with Federal and State regulations and company policy regarding employment.
- Coordinate background checks, leaves of absence, accommodations, benefit/payroll issues and unemployment claims between associates and HR team. Attends unemployment hearings.
Other HR Team Duties
- Supports overall Human Resources Department on special projects and other duties as needed.
- Supports talent acquisition and recruiting efforts, including but not limited to maintaining job postings, completing phone screen interviews and all pre-employment actions.
- Assists with Human Resources’ multi-site engagement and training schedules and coordinates formal and a la carte program logistics (i.e., registration, materials, supplies, room set-up, catering, etc.) as they relate to upcoming associate and hiring events.
- Maintains associate recognition programs, and apparel store, working with internal and external vendor partners to ensure associate anniversaries are celebrated in a meaningful way so associates feel recognized for their contributions under the direction of HR Director and HR Specialists.
- Other duties, as needed.
- High School degree required; Bachelors preferred
- 2+ years of Human Resources experience required, preferably in a HR Generalist capacity OR 5+ years of leadership/management experience
- Previous experience in retail/grocery operations, strongly preferred
- Familiarity with HR processes, specifically onboarding and operations is strongly preferred
- PHR/SHRM-CP credential, preferred
- Ability to prioritize, organize, and work effectively and efficiently in a fast-paced environment with competing demands.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and/or written instructions, perform routine and repetitive tasks and have constant contact/interaction with various levels of individuals daily
- Ability to attend on-site work during normal business hours, in the typical work week, as well as extra time as needed to fulfill job duties