Manager; Government Relations & Education & Talent Development
TITLE: Manager; Government Relations & Education & Talent Development
DEPARTMENT: Government Relations/ Education & Talent Development
POSITION REPORTS TO: President & CEO/ Sr. Vice-President
Build, implement and manage all aspects of the government relations program of The Chamber, inclusive of a pro-business agenda, policy research, grassroots efforts, managing issues committees, working with elected officials and coordinating educational opportunities. Represent the interests of the business community at the federal, state and local levels.
- Represent the interests of Chamber members; provide staff support to the Government Relations Committee and issue specific committees and task forces; research and analyze the impact of legislation and regulations on the business community; coordinate volunteer initiatives and manage the political action and grassroots efforts of the Chamber.
- Generate special briefings, seminars and Governmental sessions relevant to legislative issues and regulations. Assist President & CEO in recruiting guest speakers and promotion of events.
- Coordinate the planning & logistics for all governmental related events including legislative trips to Richmond, Nashville and Washington, D.C.
- Provide guidance and/or research for Chamber member companies seeking assistance on issues, lobbying and/or communicating with government officials
- Work with peers in the industry toward best practices and securing potential partnerships
- Focus on the Chamber's mission – Advancing Economic Vitality – and to lead with a bold voice for business by engaging and connecting with Chamber members and partners to contribute to improved business outcomes in our region.
- Attend events as requested.
- Performs other duties in helping with Chamber activities, or as assigned by the President & CEO.
Education & Talent Development:
- The Program Manager for Talent Development reports to the President & CEO/ Sr. Vice-President and is responsible for education & talent development programs and initiatives.
- The successful applicant will have knowledge and understanding of the nuances associated with the Bristol Chamber membership footprint in both VA and TN. Quickly gaining a practical working knowledge of existing conditions that will aid and/or impede Education & Talent Development projects and other efforts and formulating solutions is critical.
- Through the effective partnerships - implement measurable programs to address job skills gaps in Bristol Chamber footprint
- Enable the business community to support our education system and its contributions to our region’s enduring attractiveness through engagement with our Education partners
- Plan, direct, and evaluate the operations of the Education & Talent department, including formulating and implementing short-term and long-term department goals and objectives. Design and administer workforce development programs and activities which further the skill set of the regional workforce.
- Engage with region’s K-12 and college partners to promote career education, share employer training needs for their workforce and provide data on projected growth occupations and industries.
- Foster and facilitate relationships between business, educators and students in Bristol and across the region through strategically developed programs such as internships, job shadowing, mentorships, career fairs, etc.
- Establish ongoing partnerships and communication to make continual improvements to the talent supply chain in the greater Bristol community.
- Educate and expose students to the available career path and job opportunities in Bristol.
- Manage the Stem/Robotics program, TN/VA Scholars and other education focused initiatives of the Chamber
EDUCATION, TRAINING OR CERTIFICATION:
Bachelor's degree or Equivalent Experience
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
One to Three years of experience in the legislative, lobbying or political arena.
Excellent communicator (including superior writing skills), professional demeanor. Experience with media coordination to include writing press releases and media advisories.
An understanding of workforce development and the connection between K-12 educational systems, postsecondary education systems and career technical programs strongly preferred
Demonstrated ability to develop strategic plans and successfully implement tactics
Strong public speaking skills.
Expertise in managing projects and programs
Highly organized, Self-starter & results-oriented
Analytical / problem-solver
Computer literacy (word processing, spreadsheets, Power Point, website updates, social media, Constant Contact, etc.)
POSITION INTERACTS WITH:
All departments and volunteers within The Bristol Chamber of Commerce
Local, State and Federal legislators and their staffs
Government Relations Committee members
Education partners to include Pre-k – 12, post-secondary institutions, other education focused partners and associations
Please include salary requirements. Salary commensurate with experience and expertise.
Contact: Beth Rhinehart, President & CEO; firstname.lastname@example.org