Marketing Director, Bristol Chamber of Commerce, Discover Bristol
JOB TITLE: Marketing Director, Bristol Chamber of Commerce, Discover Bristol
RESPONSIBLE TO: President and CEO, Bristol Chamber of Commerce, Sr. Level Staff
OVERALL RESPONSIBILITY: The position oversees the marketing activities of the tourism arm of the Bristol Chamber of Commerce (Discover Bristol) to promote Bristol as a destination by marketing attractions, recreational opportunities, events, dining and lodging, history, and scenic beauty. The marketing director develops and promotes Bristol as a viable location for consumer travel, convention/meeting business, tour groups, and special events.
- Coordinates the development and implementation of a marketing plan for Discover Bristol to include buying ads and social media promotions.
- Works in conjunction with other organizations to promote tourism opportunities in Bristol (i.e. Bristol Motor Speedway, Bristol Rhythm & Roots Reunion, Birthplace of Country Music, Believe in Bristol, etc.).
- Works in conjunction with other DMOs, regional tourism organizations, and state tourism agencies to create new tourism programs and to encourage regional tourism efforts and growth.
- Serve as a representative for tourism and economic development in Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia.
- Develop a trust-based relationship with Chamber and CVB Boards of Directors, community stakeholders, City officials, media, tourism colleagues and staff by being a person of sincere professionalism and integrity.
- Work with the Chamber President & CEO to prepare and conduct regular board meetings and keeps board members informed on the activities of DB.
- Oversees the writing and submission of grants
- Maintains current data on number of visitor inquiries on an annual basis.
- Effectively develop and manage the organization’s budget and work plan in a fiscally responsible manner that supports the strategic direction and priorities of the Board of Directors and ensures the long-term effectiveness of the organization.
- Participates in seminars, training opportunities and conferences related to Chamber and tourism. Day/evening and overnight travel is required.
- Work alongside the Communications Manager to develop content and content calendar updates.
- Stay aware of destination marketing best practices to bring Bristol’s destination marketing and tourism brand, product, and services to the next level.
- Leads the development and distribution of all visitor publications designed to highlight Bristol.
- Submits current information to the Virginia Tourism Corporation and the Tennessee Department of Tourist Development in order to receive maximum exposure in state tourism publications.
- Prepares grant funding requests to state tourism departments.
- Provides local, regional and state welcome centers with DB publications.
- Develops and places advertisements in selected publications to promote Bristol.
- Oversees the development and production of a variety of marketing publications including, but not limited to: Bristol Visitor Guide, Bristol Attractions Map, Bristol Media Kits, Historic Walking Tour Brochure to promote travel opportunities and group tour services.
- Works with Communications Manager to plan and implement a social media marketing campaign over multiple social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube) and websites, to promote Bristol tourist-related events and attractions.
- Assists with and recruits selected special events that attract visitors to Bristol.
- Attends travel and trade shows nationwide to market Bristol to motorcoach operators, meeting planners, AAA owners/operators, and leisure travelers.
- Conducts familiarization tours of Bristol in order to showcase our area and generate additional tourism development.
- Encourages travel writers to visit the area to generate favorable media exposure.
- Prospects and encourages corporations and organizations to hold meetings and conventions in Bristol.
- Works with the Chamber President & CEO to hold regular meetings to update city council and board members of the DB efforts and accomplishments.
- Works with the Chamber President & CEO to monitor and research legislative issues (advocate when appropriately vetted) which impact the travel industry.
- Attends all Chamber Board of Directors and Discover Bristol Board meetings, staff meetings, annual meeting, Business After Hours and First Friday Business Briefings, city council meetings as appropriate (and other events as assigned).
RESULTS: Results of the effort in this position will be measured by the effectiveness with which the community has been promoted; by mutually agreed upon job performance objectives; accomplishment of the strategic plan and by the financial performance of budgeted activities.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in business administration, marketing, communications, tourism & hospitality, or a closely related field is strongly preferred.
Experience: Minimum of five years’ relevant and progressively responsible work experience in destination marketing, travel, tourism or hospitality is required. Any combination of formal education and practical experience may be considered. In-depth knowledge of the travel and tourism industry is required with knowledge of sales, marketing, public relations and strategic planning. Experiencing in implementing traditional and digital marketing buys is required.
Other Requirements: Traveling, including overnight travel, is required periodically. A demonstrated desire to embrace personal and professional development is highly sought. Bristol is tight-knit, and the next marketing director is expected to play a significant role, personally and professionally, within the community.